Shorten the Madison to a tunic length and pair it with bloomers for a darling look. To make an unlined Madison tunic, you will use the construction instructions in the Madison pattern in addition to those below for shortening the length. For a fully lined version, use the instructions for the Madison Bubble on the CC blog and follow the instructions/video below to shorten the length.
If making an 18 month size in either version, refer to the Madison Bubble blog for a pattern correction before cutting.
Shop the Look
Main Fabric: Pink Imperial Pinfeather Baby Cord by Spechler Vogel
Piping: Raspberry Gingham Piping
*Available at childrenscornerstore.com while supplies last.
Children’s Corner Madison
Fabric - Fabric requirements from pattern for romper. If lining tunic, need same amount of fabric. Contrast fabric for straps and yoke 1/4 yd for all sizes.
Buttons – see pattern cover
Featherweight fusible interfacing
1. Trace a copy of both the front and back romper pieces.
2. Use chart below to measure down from the neck edge at center front and make a mark along the edge of the traced front romper.
3. Draw a line straight across the pattern at this mark. The line will be perpendicular to the center front fold line. Cut traced pattern along this line.
4. Measure up 3/4" from lower edge at the side seam and make a mark on the shortened pattern.
5. Measure the width of the pattern piece and make a mark at the center point.
6. Draw a gentle curve from the center mark to the 3/4" mark at the side seam. It is helpful to use a French curve for this line if available.
7. Cut pattern piece along this curve.
8. Repeat process for back romper.
9. Use pattern or blog instructions for construction of the top of the garment.
10. For the hem, turn under 1/4" to the wrong side and press. Turn under again 1" and press. Hem tunic with blind hem or topstitch.
11. For the lined version trim 1/2" of fabric from the lower edge of the tunic lining. Turn under the lining hem 1/2"and press. Turn under hem 1/2" again and press. Finish with a topstitch. Lining will hang 1/4"shorter than the tunic.
Click the printer icon below for printable version.