Taylor Scalloped Overlay
Updated: Jun 6
Add this soft scalloped overlay to Taylor to achieve a darling new look. The overlay is also a perfect canvas for a monogram. For more patriotic fabric, visit childrenscornerstore.com!
Shop the Look
Fabric: Multi Stars on White by Lewis & Irene
Overlay: White Pique
Piping: Solid Christmas Red
Buttons: 3/4" Plastic Red Buttons
Overlay Fabric requirement – 1/4 yard Overlay Piping requirement – 1/2 yard
1. Transfer marks to pattern pieces according to Taylor Instructions. You will mark buttonholes on romper front after overlay is applied.
2. Using the template provided for each size cut out the overlay.
3. Trim and clip piping seam allowance to 1/4”. Stitch corded piping to the right side of the bottom scalloped edge of overlay matching raw edges. Pull cording 1/4” out of each end and trim cord to reduce bulk in the seams. Clip seam allowance along scallops especially at points.
4. Press the outer seam of the scallops to the wrong side and press leaving the piping showing along the edge.
5. Pin the overlay to the yoke matching shoulders, neck and armholes. Topstitch the overlay to the romper front by stitching in the ditch between the piping and the overlay fabric. Using an edge foot is helpful.
6. Trim the original front fabric away from behind overlay leaving a 1/4” seam allowance at scallops. Cutting away romper fabric will allow overlay to lie flat and raw seams are covered with lining. Mark buttonholes.
7. Continue to Step #2 in Taylor Instructions to complete romper.
Adaptation by Cathy Jones
Click the printer icon below for printable version.