Long Sleeve Bias Band
Updated: Jun 7
Sleeve Cutting Instructions
1. For Ruthie - shorten long sleeve length by using the “sew elastic here” line as the cutting line.
2. For Bishop - shorten long sleeve according to chart below.
3. Mark an “X” on the lower edge of the sleeves ¾ inch from each corner for sizes 6m-3 and 1 inch from the corner for sizes 4-8.
Cut 2 strips of fabric on the bias using the chart below.
1. Sew 2 rows of gathering stitches between “X”s along the lower edge of each sleeve. The first row will be 1/8 inch from the edge. The 2nd row 3/8 inch from the edge.
2. Press down one long edge of bias band ¼ inch with wrong sides together. Repeat with the other band.
3. Gather sleeves to fit unpressed edge of bias bands. Stitch in place and remove gathering threads. Press sleeve toward band.
4. Follow dress instructions for construction of side seams and sleeve seams.
5. Once sleeve seam is stitched, press the folded edge of bias band to the inside of the sleeve, matching fold with previous stitching line. Whip stitch in place by hand.
Adaptation by Melissa Sansom
Click the printer icon below for printable version.