Alex with Box Pleat
Updated: Jun 3
Shop the Look
*Available at childrenscornerstore.com while supplies last.
1. Use a pencil, and retrace the Alex shirt front pattern piece, leaving 4” of tracing paper beyond the center front. 2. Measure 3” beyond the center front line and draw a parallel line down the length of the shirt. Label this line “place on fold.” Extend the hem to the new line by drawing a straight line.
3. Align the template with the neckline and the place on fold line. Trace the updated cutting line for the pleated version.
4. Using your new pattern piece, cut the shirt front and the remaining pieces per the cutting instructions in the pattern. 5. Transfer the center front line to the right side of the shirt front fabric extending it 2 ½ - 3 ½” down.
6. With the shirt front folded in half and wrong sides together, stitch down the center front line 2 ½" – 3 ½” down, backstitching at each end. Open the pleat, and press.
7. Baste the pleat in place around the neckline to hold the pleat in place. 8. Continue with the Alex instructions. 9. Embellish with buttons after completion of construction.
Adaptation by Cathy Jones
Click the printer icon below for printable version.