Sleeveless Allie with Bow
Updated: May 31
Allie is our classic shirt dress. This adaptation is great for older girls and a perfect dress for summertime. We love this look in our 1/2" check, available in a variety of colors.
Children’s Corner Pattern Allie Fabric Requirements- add additional 1/4 yard
1. Before cutting the dress pieces, you will adjust armholes on the front and back dress pattern pieces. Refer to the chart below to raise the armhole and bring in the shoulder seam. Draw a dot making the shoulder seam shorter and raising the armhole.
2. Using a French curve, if you have one, draw the curve connecting these dots. If you do not have a French curve, you can simply follow the shape of the pattern armhole to connect the dots.
3. Follow Allie Instructions for “Pointed Collar” #1–3 and “Dress Construction” #1–9.
4. Cut two bias bands 1” wide and the length of each armhole plus 1/2”. Press the bands in half lengthwise with right sides together. Unfold and stitch across each end using 1/4” seam to form a circle. Refold and stitch the bands' raw edges together to the right side of the armhole using a 1/4” seam and matching underarm seams of dress and bias band. Trim the seam and press band to inside of dress and stitch bands in place either by hand or "stitch in the ditch" by machine.
Dress-Waist Casing 5. Using the casing pattern piece LENGTH as a guide, cut the casing piece the WIDTH according to the chart below. For an interesting look, cut the casing piece on the bias.
6. Your casing piece will end 1” from the fold on front of dress. Measure around waist and add 1/2” to determine casing length. Trim excess. Hem the short ends of the casing piece using a 1/4” seam. Fold under 1/4” on the top and bottom of casing piece. Press. Position on dress and stitch close to top and bottom of casing using an edge foot.
7. Cut the sash strips according to the chart below.
8. Fold sash in half lengthwise with right sides together. Stitch the long side using a 1/4” seam and leaving a 3’ opening for turning. Stitch both ends diagonally. Trim seam and clip corners. Pull right side out through opening and press. Using a safety pin, thread sash through casing. 9. Complete dress according to Allie Instructions “Dress Finishing” #1–2. Tie sash in a bow.
Adaptation by Cathy Jones
Click the printer icon below for printable version.