Ruffle Neck Kaki
Updated: May 4
Use this ruffle addition to the View B Kaki bodice to make a dress or mash Kaki with Harper to make a bubble. It is important to use the neckband binding technique on the Kaki View B neckline instructions for this modification.
Children's Corner Kaki Pattern - View B Jersey needle Ruffle (see instructions below)
Cut out all pieces for the Kaki View B dress.
Cut 1 ruffle from chart
Dress with Sleeves
Cut out all pieces for the Kaki view A dress except do not cut view A neckband
Cut out View B neckband
Cut 1 ruffle from chart above
Place pattern piece from front bodice view B on top of view A front bodice that you have cut from fabric. Line up center front fold, shoulders and lower edge. Draw a line onto fabric along curved neck edge. Trim fabric along line. Repeat for back bodice.
1. Construct Kaki steps 1-3 according to pattern instructions.
2. Skip to step 12 and continue, following instructions 12 and 13 to stitch neckband to bodice.
3. Serge or zig zag one long edge of the ruffle. Place short ends of ruffle right sides together and stitch. Press this seam open.
4. Turn under stitched edge of ruffle ¼ inch to the wrong side and press. Topstitch in place with a stitch length of 3.
5. Measure half and quarter measurements on the long edge of the ruffle. Mark these with a dot on the unfinished edge.
6. Sew 2 rows of gathering stitches to unfinished edge of ruffle ¼ inch and ½ inch from the edge.
7. Place ruffle right side up on the dress bodice right side up, matching the ruffle seam to the center back. Pin in place. Gather ruffle to neck edge matching marks on ruffle with bodice dots and center front. Baste ruffle in place ¼ inch from the edge.
8. Continue Kaki instructions at step 14 wrapping the neckband snugly around to the front of the neck and topstitching in place.
9. Complete construction of the garment according to instructions in pattern.
Adaptation by Melissa Sansom
Click the printer icon below for printable version.