Puffy pockets are an easy addition to many projects. Soft enough to add a little extra frill, but useful for the girl that needs to tote some things with her. Make these pockets with or without the ruffle edge.
Free Puffy Pocket Pattern (click here to download)
1. See pattern piece for cutting instructions of pocket and bias band.
2. Stitch around the curved edges of the pocket and pocket lining with a ¼” seam allowance with right sides together. Trim, turn and press.
3. Stitch 2 rows of gathering stitches across the top of the pocket.
4. Gather the pocket so that it is ½” shorter than the bias band.
5. Cut the ruffle 1 1/4" wide X 8" long. Hem one long edge of the ruffle with a double turn 1/8” hem or rolled hem foot. Do same to each end of the ruffle. Stitch in place.
6. Gather the ruffle to fit the top of the pocket and stitch in place.
7. Stitch the bias band to the top of the pocket with right sides together leaving a ¼” of the band extending beyond each side of the pocket.
8. Fold the ends of the bias to the back of the pocket, then fold the bias ¼” lengthwise and then fold again and stitch by hand or machine.
9. Topstitch pocket to dress 1/8” from edge of the curve. Make sure to tack ends well to reinforce points where pockets will experience the most pulling from little hands. The top edge of the pocket will curve slightly when pocket is properly attached
Click the printer icon below for printable version.