Katina with Ruffle Sleeves
Updated: May 23, 2023
Add a touch of frilly ruffles to the Katina and shorten it to this darling top. A shortened Katina is a great choice for warm days of play. A few modifications and then construct the same as the Katina. Below find new fabric requirements and skirt lengths for the tunic length. We are sewing from the 2020 release of Katina. If you are using an older version, you will need to accommodate for the revised seam allowance of 1/2" at the yoke when using these skirt measurements. Add a 1/4" to the bottom the yoke and top of the skirt.
Shop the Look
Buttons: 1/2" Lime Plastic Buttons
*Available at childrenscornerstore.com while supplies last.
Children's Corner Katina (revised version)
1. Measure the length of the Katina strap. Multiply the strap length x 1.66 to determine length of ruffle. Ruffle width is 2.5”.
2. Fold rectangle in half with wrong sides together along center line and press. Shape ends of the rectangle to achieve curved ends as shown in diagram.
3. Press fabrics wrong sides together, run two lines of lengthened machine stitching from end to end along the raw edge side of the sleeve. Stitch the first line 1/8” from the raw edge and the second line 3/8” from the raw edge. Repeat with other sleeve.
4. Pull up gathering threads and pin ruffle to one side of each strap stopping ruffle 3/4” from end of strap.
5. Construct straps according to Katina instructions taking care not to catch edge of ruffle when sewing opposite seam of straps.
6. Turn to right side and press.
Click the printer icon below for printable version.