Katina + Scallops Mashup
Updated: May 24
We tend to find inspiration in many different places, and when we considered how to use the Scallops Add-on Pack in an unusual way, we didn't look any farther than the Katina sundress. Like magic, the sleeve band works perfectly as an alternative strap.
Shop the Look
Pattern: Katina and Scallops Add-on Pack
Fabric: Pique Floral Blue
Strap Fabric: White Pique
Buttons: 3/4" Plastic White Buttons
*Available at childrenscornerstore.com while supplies last.
Children’s Corner Katina pattern Children’s Corner Scallops Add on Pack pattern – use pattern piece #4 according to the size Katina dress you are making
Strap: Add 1/4" to the straight edge of the Scallops sleeve band (pattern piece #4) – Cut 4 straps Pocket: Cut 2 rectangles of dress fabric according to chart below
1. Following the Scallops instructions, with right sides together, carefully sew the scalloped edge on the sleeve band (we will now refer to this piece as the strap).
2. Turn the scalloped edge and press well. (this is easiest to do at this stage)
3. Putting right sides together again, stitch one short edge and one long edge of the band.
4. Turn strap right side out and press.
5. Strap is now ready to be sewn to Katina back yoke according to Katina directions.
1. To create the scallop top of the pocket, start with the sleeve band pattern piece #4.
2. Fold in the first and last scallop towards the center of the sleeve band, leaving two scallops visible. Cut 2 shortened strips that will become the top of your pocket.
3. Following the Scallops instructions, with right sides together, carefully sew the scalloped edge on the sleeve band. (we will now refer to this piece as the scalloped top).
4. Turn and press.
5. Place scalloped top on right side of pocket, matching raw edges. Baste in place.
6. With right sides together, stitch pocket lining and pocket with scalloped top sandwiched between together with 1/4” seams. Leave a 2” opening at the bottom of the pocket.
7. Trim seams and clip corners.
8. Turn and press pocket.
9. Position on Katina dress according to the chart and top stitch around 3 edges 1/8” from the edge catching the opening at the bottom of the pocket.
Adaptation by Cathy Jones
Click the printer icon below for printable version.