Updated: Jun 6
Kids love having a pocket to rest their little fingers or to hide away treasures they find throughout their day. It is even more fun when we can make that pocket a focal point. This cute heart works year round to show off your love for her. Learn more about the pictured look here.
1. Cut out two hearts using the pattern provided (download here).
2. Mark the 2 dots from the pattern onto the hearts. Apply fusible interfacing to the wrong side of both hearts.
3. Place right sides together and stitch all the way around the heart leaving a 1” space open along one lower edge.
4. Trim and clip all curves especially the top center point getting as close as you can to the stitching without clipping the stitches.
5. Turn the heart right side out, and press well.
6. Starting at the left dot, topstitch 1/16” from the edge of the heart along the top edge, pivoting at the center point, and stopping at the right dot. Only your top edge will be topstitched at this point.
7. Pin the heart pocket to the dress on the right hand side. The center of the heart should be vertically aligned with the center point of the side seam and horizontally aligned a little more than halfway over toward the center front.
8. Topstitch the heart to the dress along the lower edge 1/16” from the edge starting at the right dot, pivoting at the lower point of the heart, and ending at the left dot. Back stitch at each end. Now you have a heart pocket.
Instructions by Melissa Sansom
Click the printer icon below for printable version.