Adding Sleeves to a Sleeveless Pattern
Adding sleeves to a sleeveless pattern is a great way to create a garment for year round wear. Use these instructions to add sleeves to the some of our favorite sleeveless patterns.
Children’s Corner Sleeveless pattern (Children’s Corner April, pictured) Children’s Corner Sleeve pattern (Children’s Corner Ruthie, pictured) Tracing paper & pencil French curve (optional)
Add ¼ yard of fabric to the pattern requirements to add short sleeves. Add 3/8 yard for long sleeves.
1. Trace a copy of the front and back bodice pieces from the sleeveless dress as well as both bodice lining pieces. Use these copies for modifications prior to cutting out fabric. 2. Choose one of the two methods below to adjust the armhole on the front and back bodices.
Method 1 (as seen in the Ginger + Victoria video)
3. Place newly traced sleeveless front bodice on top of the front bodice pattern piece of the sleeved pattern. 4. Line up the center front lines and shoulder seams. The neck and lower edges might not match. 5. Trace the armhole curve from the pattern underneath onto the traced pattern. Shorten the side seamline and extend the shoulder to match the newly drawn curve. 6. Do the same for the back bodice and all lining pieces. 7. Cut out and label new pattern pieces. Use these pieces as you construct the garment per the pattern instructions.
8. To adjust the armhole on the front and back bodice, refer to the chart to lower the armhole and extend the shoulder seam out toward the sleeve. Draw a dot lowering the armhole and another dot making the shoulder seam longer.
9. Using a French curve, if you have one, draw the curve connecting these dots. If you do not have a French curve, you can simply follow the shape of the pattern armhole to connect the dots.
10. Make the same changes to all bodice and lining pieces. 11. Cut out and label new pattern pieces. Use these pieces as you construct the garment per the pattern instructions.
Instructions by Melissa Sansom
Click the printer icon below for printable version.